Prevent on time and keep up with the situation
By preventing possible safety risks, we improve the security and the mental and physical well-being of everyone, as well as minimise possible damage-related losses.
The most significant incidents at port areas are almost unexceptionally associated with chemical products transport and lifting operations, mutual incompatibilities, or chemicals-related fires. To avoid hazardous situations, the following aspects needs to be taken into account.
To be considered:
In cargo handling:
- consideration of free liquid surface during lifting and lowering
- right kind of lifting equipment
- correct lifting points and weight distribution
- correct position of locking mechanisms
- regular inspection of lifting equipment and lifting gear
In vehicle traffic:
- compliance with speed limits
- avoiding collisions and accidents at crossings
- consideration of carriageway slipperiness
In repair and maintenance work:
- Repair and maintenance works are not carried out at hazardous substances waiting or storage areas.
In hot work:
- Because of the fire hazard associated with hot works, alternative working methods must always be considered at high-risk locations.
- Performance of hot works at a temporary hot work site always requires a hot work licence.
Port of Pori Ltd must be notified of any hot works to be performed at the port territory. For a hot work permit, call the supervisor (Tahkoluoto: GSM 044-701 2625; Mäntyluoto: GSM 044-701 2609 or 02-621 2609).
In case an accident occurs, everyone should establish beforehand:
- the most common risk factors related to the workplace and work target
- notification about emergencies and contact information
- first-aid kit and cupboard locations and contents
- locations of first-aid fire-fighting equipment
- locations and operation of safety showers